Monday, October 11, 2010

News about my sister's cancer & related struggles

My sister is recovering well from her breast cancer surgery and her hysterectomy. Health-wise, it seems like good news at this point in terms of those issues.

Of course she will always have to deal with her fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, peripheral neuropathy, and so on. This will impact her ability to obtain and hold a job once her best friend (for whom she currently works as her health allows) retires and closes the business at the end of this month. My big sister (Loretta or Lynn to some, but Sissy to me) is someone who I've always looked up to. She has always been a strong, independent person - someone who I always thought would always find a way to land on her feet. She has always worked SO HARD. She always did her best to help others, and it's been hard for her to accept help. Sissy thinks she's supposed to be the helper, not the one needing to accept help.

I've been working on trying to raise some money online for Sissy to use for her medical expenses, and so far I've raised $355 ($330 from the ChipIn! widget on the right side of this page, and $25 sent as a check). Today Mom told me that they are having a benefit for Sissy on my birthday, November 6. I'd love to raise some more money for her by November 1 so I can send it to her by the date of the benefit.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. Would you consider donating some funds directly for use by someone who just had breast cancer surgery and radiation?

If you do not have the ability to do online donations via ChipIn!, you can absolutely send a check. You can make it out me, or you can put her name on it and I can include it with the other funds in the card I'll be sending. Just contact me and I will give you my mailing address privately.

Thank you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you can't say something nice...